As of March 13th, Health Sciences North (HSN) is operating a COVID-19 Assessment Centre in the North Laboratory 1 area of the Health Sciences North Research Institute (HSNRI) at 56 Walford Road in Greater Sudbury, 650 meters from HSN’s Ramsey Lake Health Centre.
The clinic’s purpose is to assess and, only where appropriate, swab people who may be infected with COVID-19 with a goal of minimizing the significant number of patients presenting themselves to the Emergency Department at HSN. This COVID-19 Assessment Centre is by appointment only. For safety reasons, “walk in” appointments are strictly prohibited. Not everyone who attends the clinic will be swabbed.
Individuals meeting the criteria below must call HSN’s assessment centre at 705-671-7373 between the hours of 9:00 am and 5:00 pm, 7 days per week, instead of presenting themselves to HSN’s Emergency Department. The patient will give their basic intake information and will receive a call back from a clinician for next steps.
Individuals with general questions must not call HSN. Instead, please visit Public Health Sudbury & Districts website.
Individuals must meet the following criteria for an Assessment Centre appointment:
Fever (over 38 degrees Celsius) and/or cough (new or worsening)
2. Exposure History within the last 14 days prior to onset of symptoms:
- Travel outside of Canada
- Had close interactions with a confirmed or probable case of COVID-19
- Had close interactions with someone who has symptoms of COVID-19 who recently travelled outside of Canada
There are two steps to be followed to receive an appointment at the COVID-19 Assessment Centre:
- Patients need to complete an assessment by telephone and will be triaged by a nurse from HSN;
- Patients triaged by the HSN nurse will be given an appointment to the COVID-19 Assessment Centre as required. For patients who may have difficulty presenting for an assessment, arrangements will be made for an assessment at home from an employee of the Greater Sudbury Community Paramedicine Program.
Sudbury’s COVID-19 Assessment Centre, funded and approved by the Ministry of Health, is among the first to be opened in Ontario. It’s the result of proactive and collaborative planning by a number of programs at HSN, including its Centre for Prehospital Care, as well as Public Health Sudbury & Districts, the City of Greater Sudbury and Ontario Health (North).