Health Sciences North/Horizon Santé-Nord (HSN) is committed to providing quality patient care. This includes providing information, tools and tips when it comes to health care coverage regarding your hospital stay.
In order for the provincial health insurance to cover services for your stay in hospital, you must have a valid provincial health card. It is necessary to carry it on you, as health service providers validate your coverage using this card.
Your health card covers the cost of a standard ward room (4 or more beds). It covers numerous standard health services in Ontario, and most of your Ontario benefits are covered across Canada.
It does not, however, cover the total cost of the following:
• The difference in cost between a semi-private or private room and the standard ward room;
• Medical supplies such as boots, splints, crutches, walkers, etc.;
• Cosmetic and delisted procedures;
• Ambulance services;
• Private duty nurses or sitters requested by the family.
Upon admission, patients have the opportunity to request a private or semi-private room. If this request is made, the patient is responsible for covering the costs not covered by the provincial health plan. If a request is made, the patient must present a complete insurance policy card (insurer’s name, group number, identification, division) and complete a Responsibility for Payment form.
It is essential for patients to know, understand, and verify the level of coverage they receive, if any, from private insurers. If you are not covered or only partially covered by a private insurer for semi-private or private rooms, HSN costs are as listed and are subject to change:
• $240 per day for a semi-private room;
• $277 per day for a private room;
• $45 for ambulance services ($240 if the patient is not covered with Ontario’s Health Insurance Plan).
Should you have any questions or concerns, please contact the Finance Department at 705-523-7100 ext. 8105.