Chronic pain can be defined as “pain lasting longer than three months or pain lasting longer than a reasonable amount of time for an injury to heal”.
The Integrated Chronic Pain Program services the needs of adult patients living with chronic pain. The program will be available locally once opened and will expand to a regional program in 2019. There will also be programming for family members and caregivers of people living with chronic pain. We currently do not accept active Workers Safety and Insurance Board (WSIB) or motor vehicle accident (MVA) claims at the moment.
The Integrated Chronic Pain programs serve all patients & families/caregivers leaving in Northeastern Ontario. This includes Sudbury, Manitoulin, Parry Sound, Nipissing area - North Bay, Sturgeon, Temiskaming area - Kirkland Lake, Kapuskasing, Cochrane Districts - Timmins, Cochrane, Wawa, Ste Marie, Elliot Lake, Blind River,, James Bay Coast, Muskoka, North Bay and Northern Ontario.
Click here for program pamphlet
Click here to download our referral form
Meet our Team
The interdisciplinary team consists of the Program Manager, Program Coordinator, Clinical Lead, Administrative Support, Case Manager, Occupational Therapists, Pain Specialists - Physicians, Pharmacist, Physiotherapists, a Psychological Associate, Registered Nurses, and a Registered Social Worker.
Who we see
The clinic is open to patients over the age of 18 through referrals by a primary care provider (family doctor or nurse practitioner). The clinic sees patients with chronic pain conditions such as chronic neck, shoulder or back pain; whiplash injuries, fibromyalgia, repetitive strain injury, chronic regional pain syndrome, post stroke or central pain, neuropathic pain, and others. Pain duration must be lasting longer than three months to and patient has not responded to other pain management therapies.
We are a MOHTC OHIP-referral funded program and currently do not active Workers Safety and Insurance Board (WSIB) or motor vehicle accident (MVA) claims at the moment.
- Accelerated 6-week Program: 4 hours per day, two days a week; Led by multiple team members. Each day will include: 1) Physical activity 2) Relaxation 3) Goal Setting and 4) 1 hour of education
- Regional/Outreach Programming: A shortened version of our accelerated programming for patients and families living outside the Greater Sudbury Area (>100km)
- Individual Assessments will be available with the goal of getting participants ready to learn in a group setting.
- Chronic Pain Self-Management Program: 6 week workshop 2.5 hours each week; Peer Led. Topics include: Making an Action Plan , Problem Solving; Exercises to improve your strength, flexibility and endurance. Fatigue management, Depression Management, and Communication. Caregivers are welcome too!
- Family and Caregiver Programming: Family workshop available one evening a month. For those interested in more support and education a 6-week workshop will be available. Led by a trained professional.
- Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction: 8 week workshop 3 hours per week; Led by a trained professional. Skills include: Awareness of Breath, Body Scan, Mindful Movement, Walking Meditation, Non– judgement, acceptance and self-compassion. Maintenance groups available after completion.
Making an Appointment
- A referral form needs to be sent from your doctor or nurse practitioner
- The chronic pain team will look at the referral form to make sure that it is properly completed and decide if our services suit your condition
If the referral is accepted:
- A medical secretary will call you by phone, to confirm your acceptance into the clinic and schedule you for our mandatory welcome workshop. This workshop will include education, goal setting and filling out questionnaires.
- Your doctor or nurse practitioner will also receive a letter by fax from the clinic confirming your acceptance into the program.
If the referral is not accepted:
- Your doctor or nurse practitioner will be made aware and we suggest you talk about other options with your doctor or nurse practitioner.
Sudbury Outpatient Center | Centre de Soins Ambulatoires de Sudbury
865 Regent St South | 865 rue Regent Sud
Sudbury, ON P3E 3Y9
705.523.7100 ext 2755
1.866.469.0822 ext 2755
General program inquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org
Hours: 8:30 am to 4:30 pm Monday to Friday
- Please leave a message with your telephone number. Someone will return your call within 3 business days
Cancellation and No-Show policy
- We ask for a 48 hours’ notice for all cancellations or rescheduling of appointments
- Repeated cancellations or requests to re-book appointments with notice less than 48 hours (i.e.: more than 2 appointments for a 12-month period or two back-to-back appointments) will result in no future appointments. A new referral must be sent by your doctor or nurse practitioner in order for you to be seen again. The new referral will be triaged and placed in a new position on the wait list.
For Health Care Providers
Our referral is an electronically fillable form. Please download form, fill out electronically and email to email@example.com or fax to 705-671-5678.
Click here to download our referral form