The Breast Screening and Assessment Service (BSAS) in Sudbury is a comprehensive consolidation of breast related services which include digital mammography, ultrasound, MRI, surgical services, education and support services. The BSAS provides timely and coordinated access to Ontario Breast Screening Program mammography, breast assessment along with diagnostic services to patients of all ages. These comprehensive services are provided using state-of-the art equipment.
As a Cancer Care Ontario recognized Breast Assessment Affiliate, Health Sciences North’s Breast Screening and Assessment Service offers the following:
- Maintains current accreditation by the Canadian Association of Radiologists Mammography Accreditation Program (CAR-MAP);
- Ensures the availability of radiologists, surgeons and pathologists with expertise in breast imaging, surgery and pathology;
- Has the capacity to provide complete imaging (mammographic diagnostics, ultrasound, ultrasound and stereotactic guided core biopsy), b) surgical biopsy (including specimen radiography and needle localization), and c) pathologic assessment of biopsy;
- Provision of client navigation services to coordinate the investigations involved in the diagnosis of the abnormality;
- Provision of support services for clients undergoing breast assessment including information, education, emotional support and referral to community agencies/services as required;
- A detailed care map for the coordination of services and expected timelines;
- Mechanisms for ongoing evaluation and quality improvement;
- Recognition of, and adherence to national and provincially established targets and timelines.